Saturday, July 27, 2019

Dear Greg,

I think people think because I am not your Mom, Dad, wife or daughter - that I am only “just” your sister- that somehow I love you less than they do. They forget that in addition to Mom and Dad, I have known you the longest. Maybe they think that because I am 5 years older and that we lived apart for so many years that I do not care as much as your nearby friends and family that you suffered from cancer and died. They forget that I was your protector, mentor, and partner in crime (whether you wanted one or not) for a good 20+ years before you married and added more awesome family to your group. Maybe they think because I keep my grief and emotions inside and my tears are quiet that I do not feel the daily pain that I can’t just call you up and chat about movies, books, or life in general. 

I hope you know that I love you and miss you just as deeply as others- as only a sister can. Others may not understand that you were not “just a brother” to me. I hope others realize that just like Mom, Dad, Jenny, and Wyn- I need to remember you, and grieve, and celebrate memories. I need comfort from others and to hear how they remembered us together and how they loved you too. 

I miss you so much! I hope you know how deeply I love you. 

And as you would laughingly say, “Pity party over now. Time to have fun!”

Love,

Tommi 






1 comment: