Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Tommi Goes to Spin Class

At the advice of Aunt Jenny, who is a certified spin instructor, and motivated by the 112 biking miles that I need to complete to be awarded my triathlon challenge T-shirt, I attended spin class (studio cycle) for the first time today at the Phillips Fitness Center. The 45 minute class started at 5:15pm. Boy, what a great workout!  Basically it is a stationary bike workout on steroids. Set to motivating music with a fabulous beat, the instructor lead us through hill repeats, speed segments, jumps, and a biking on sand simulation all by changing the resistance on the bike as well as changing your position  and posture on the bike. For example, there was a lot of pedaling in a standing position at high resistance. My quads are completely jello this evening. It was tough, but I can't wait to go to another class next week!  Jenny, knowing that you are awesome at this, you are now my personal hero!

I came home to dinner ready in the slow-cooker with a batch of corn bread warming in the oven. Best meal ever!  The boys were both tired with the newness of school finally catching up with them. Derek and I had more "homework" tonight, filling out more school paperwork as well as a "getting to know your child" description for Zach's teacher. Now it is time for a bit of TV and then bed before getting up to run tomorrow morning.

5 comments:

  1. AWESOME!!! Go TOMMI!!! I hope your crotch is ok (can I write that on the blog?). I can hardly wait to go together one day! If I'm lucky, I'll get re-certified and be able to teach here in Sweden...I really loved it but it's been almost 7 years since I've taught a class! Wow, makes me feel old...

    Greg and I always (or used to always) come up with new awesome songs for SPIN class. Our instructor in Baltimore was an ex-marine...totally sweet :)

    What was the yummy dinner? Please send recipes!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenny- my quads are still jello. Other "areas" seem to be fine :) I ran 4 miles this morning which probably did not help the healing process. I will try again next week and hopefully will feel stronger. Recipes will be sent your way soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, share the recipes with Mom also. I can barely walk after just reading your exercise blog posts. I'm sure the new Athleta gear has you looking fabulous through all this. Love the blog posts about everything!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If your quads still feel like jello, watch that scene from "Run Fatboy Run" where Simon Pegg falls down the stairs after SPIN class. IT IS HILARIOUS!!!

    In other news, I just came back from a run with my new clothes! Hooray! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now I can't quit singing the spinning wheel song by Blood, Sweat and Tears.......

    ReplyDelete