Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Freedom!

There is a double meaning in the title! The conference officially ended this afternoon.  After the last session, I decided to forgo the conference awards dinner and reception and take a long walk around Boston.  Seriously, how many times do you get to visit sites of American history? (And frankly I have had enough of conference functions and networking.) so I set off from the hotel around 4pm to Boston Common and hooked up to the Freedom Trail. I walked a majority of the trail. Here are pics of the highlights. By my estimates, the whole walk to and from the hotel was 7-8 miles. Finally got back to the hotel around 7:30 pm (after stopping at Athleta (of course!) as well as picking up some dinner). 

Boston Common decorated for Memorial Day. Each flag was placed for a fallen veteran. 
Old City Hall


Pieces of history nestled amidst the modern. 

Paul Revere in silhouette. 
USS Constituion at the Boston Naval shipyard. 
Crossing the Charlestown Bridge- Twice! There is a whole section where you can see straight down to the water as you walk. Obviously the city thinks this is funny. 
Boston takes its running and marathon seriously! 
There were running groups out all over each evening. Each if the sports stores seem to sponsor group events each night. A large group of women runners was leaving Athleta together as I was arriving. Body All in all, a very enjoyable evening. However I am really looking forward to getting home to the boys tomorrow afternoon. Need to get to bed early tonight as my flight us out at 7 am and I need to head to the airport around 4:45 am. 






3 comments:

  1. Thanks for taking us along on your great walking tour. Makes me want to visit Boston before we leave the East Coast. Glad you made it to Athleta.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmm, playing hooky......smart move!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed the walk thru History! Thanx!

    ReplyDelete