Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Meeting Miss Hendrickson!

Monday was an exciting day for Ashton.  Derek and I picked him up at noon from daycare to go over to Wayside Elementary School to meet his new PreK teacher, Miss Hendrickson.  She is young, recently graduated, and very nice! Her classroom is really colorful and welcoming.  There are all sorts of stations for learning reading, math, science, and social skills.  Ash's classroom is with two others that surround a courtyard area for free play- a really neat setup.  Unfortunately, I did not get a ton of pictures.  however I did get a few from the inside of his class showing the childrens' cubbies for their coats and backpacks as well as some of the tabletop stations.

 Derek and I filled out paperwork while Miss Hendrickson to Ash out into the courtyard area where she performed a skills assessment.  She quizzed him on all sorts of things like recognizing shapes, colors, the letters of the alphabet, spelling his name, drawing a self portrait, and cutting a circle with scissors.  As far as we could tell from our eavesdropping, Ash did great!  (we knew he would, course we are super biased and think he is a genius!!!).
The session concluded with Miss Hendrickson taking a picture of him to put up in the room.  she also took a picture of us with him.  I hope she will be able to share it with us.  Regardless, Ash is super excited to start PreK next week.  He loved exploring the classroom and really did not want to leave to go back to daycare. Plus he was super-impressed that Miss Hendrickson had a stuffed cow!!!!!
 While we were waiting for Ash to complete his assessment, Derek and I were checking the toys and other items out around the room.  This teacher figurine really cracked Derek up.  she is obviously teaching the class the shape of the letter "L" and showing them how to make an L in sign language.  however, Derek claimed that the teacher is calling all of her students "losers".  Ha!  he is too funny!

Zach has still not gotten his letter letting him know whom his new teacher will be.  So, that will be a big surprise when we get back from Washington D.C. on Monday.  We will arrive home mid-afternoon and then Wayside open house will be that evening where we will sign up the kids for before and after school care and Zach will get to meet his teacher and see his classroom.  We will also be able to drop off all of the kids' school supplies. (That was the big task last Sunday --- school supply shopping at Walmart.  We were able to get everything on the boys' lists EXCEPT a yellow folder with 2 pockets and brads for Zach. They had every single color except yellow and yellow was a requirement.  Luckily they had one at Staples!!!  Always an adventure!!!) 

We leave for D.C. in the morning.  I have most everything packed and ready to go.  We just need to get toiletries together tomorrow morning and take Snyx to the kennel by 8am.  Derek is feeling a bit under the weather tonight - very tired.  hopefully he will bounce back by tomorrow.  Meanwhile I should sleep like a log.  I ran 4 miles this morning, walked another mile at work going back and forth to my new building, and then swam 25 laps (50 length) at the fitness center after work.  I need to remember to pack some ibuprofen in my purse tomorrow!  

2 comments:

  1. Of course Ash is a genius! In the Miller family, the women are strong, the men are good looking and the children are above average.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know...I know...I've been working inBack to School for 3 weeks...we do not have yellow two pocket folders with prongs!!!

    ReplyDelete