Monday, August 29, 2011

First Homework!

Zach received his first set of weekly homework assignments.  It comes home with him on Monday in a groovy blue folder and is due by Friday.  His assignments this week involve recognizing common nouns in a sentence, revisiting the short vowel /a/, working on high-frequency words (a, green, I, like, one, see, the we), review of numbers 1 through 12 with story problems involving "more than" and "fewer".  Zach did most of his homework at daycare today after school and we finished the rest before bed.  He is doing great!  It is amazing how much he has changed and grown since this time last year.  His writing is so improved and he is really taking off with reading.  He also is expected to read at least 10 minutes every night and has a sheet to record the title and duration of his nightly reading.  Luckily we started that habit at the beginning of August with Zach reading to me and then I follow up by reading to him.  He was excited tonight to read to me a book from his Diego phonics series about a Jaguar family.  We are currently enjoying reading the first Harry Potter book together.    I am so glad that he is enjoying school and learning new things!

Let's see, other school items (so nice- his teachers send a newsletter home each week outlining that week's lesson plans and goals), in social studies he is learning all about the significance of the U.S. and Texas flag colors, stars, and stripes and what they represent.  He also has the U.S. Pledge of Allegiance and the Pledge to the Texas Flag memorized.  (I don't remember having a pledge to the Indiana flag---so there must not be one????  Dixie, any input???)
 
Honor the Texas flag
I pledge allegiance to thee
Texas, one state under God
One and indivisible

Derek is currently out to a work dinner for a statistics class he is attending.  I think it is at a local steakhouse.  I think I am going to make myself a cup of chocolate mint oolong tea and curl up with a book (unless I get sucked into my iPad first). 

Greg finished The Hunger Games Trilogy in record time.  Jenny- have you been sucked in yet?  I think those are another set of books that I will read multiple times and should be part of everyone's education!  

Wynter, thank you so much for the Danke note :)  Give your Mom and Dad a toe-poke for us!

Fellow runners- the "speed workout of the week" is posted to the upper right of this blog for your workout pleasure :)

3 comments:

  1. Great news that Zach is doing so well!! Yeah, once you start The Hunger Games, stopping is quite the issue. Perhaps I'll give your speed workout a shot. Why not? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAYYYYYY ZACH!!! Greg left his iPad at home today so once it's charged I'll be reading....double yay!!! Oh, and Wynter totally gave a kick while I was reading that part of the blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never heard of a pledge to a state flag......leave it to Texas to have one!

    ReplyDelete