Tuesday, March 3, 2026

Care for Both Mind and Body

February was a big month for me in terms of self-care and getting myself, yet again, out of my personal comfort zone. Firstly, my flute choir and woodwind quintet both performed at the annual Flagstaff Community Band Chamber Concert on Sunday. It was so fun to hear and support all 7 groups that performed and the diversity of music was so fun! 

I played my bass flute in the flute choir. So much fun and such a low and haunting sound. 
Ashton helped as part of the stage crew setting up chairs and stands for each group. Thanks Ash! 
I am also learning Tunisian crochet in order to make a sweater scarf. This is different than traditional crochet in that it uses a long hook and LOTS of loops. So fun to learn something new and challenge myself. (And so important to keep my mind active and challenged to try and combat the risk of dementia which is now in the family with my Mom suffering from this disease). Another nice thing about this crochet is that it will take me a while to complete the project. I can just relax while doing it with no rush to finish- completing a row here and there in between other activities. 





On Saturday I attended a training to become a “Pound Unplugged” fitness instructor. Pound Unplugged is a 30 minute class that balances focused high-intensity exercises with restorative movements, rhythmic breathing and meditation. The workout, using fitness drumsticks (way cool!!!) guides participants through a deeply intentional journey designed to promote the health and fitness of the whole person- mental, physical, and emotional. It is a really fun and empowering immersive sensory experience. I really enjoyed my training. Now I’m working on getting ready to present classes at my gym starting in April. It is really fun to channel one’s inner rockstar while moving to the beat. And the rhythmic breathing can be both energizing and relaxing. Such a great way to relive stress. Learning new choreography and ways to move - great for both body and mind! 



1 comment: