Sunday, January 22, 2023

Symphony, fitness, and beer-tasting!


So first of all, I must report on the snow. The kids only had school on Thursday of last week due to the multiple storms that rolled through. According to the National Weather Service 2023 is the fourth snowiest January on record. AND we are expected to get another 3 inches within the next 24 hours!!!!! (Soooooo tired of shoveling snow!!!) We will enjoy the sun today while it lasts!) 

Friday night we went to hear the Flagstaff Symphony Orchestra and their “Classical Goes West” themed concert. Outstanding! 

This piece was very unique. Last fall, husband and wife musical collaborators Maria Flurry (Flagstaff Symphony Orchestra timpanist) and Henry Flurry (experienced composer) teamed up with a local 3rd-grade teacher at Cromer Elementary, Diane Dawson Immethun, and together walked her students through an unforgettable experience of composing their very own orchestral work! The kids took a field trip to local Picture Canyon (I have been there many times for runs and hikes). The kids then worked with the Flurry’s to turn their feelings and observations into a wonderful music composition. Lovely!!!

The Rose of Sonora was truly outstanding. I don’t normally like violin pieces but this one was masterful with sweeping, emotional themes. It rivals any western movie music that you might hear. 








Saturday morning I teamed up with my fellow instructors at the athletic club to launch the latest choreography and music from Les Mills. Here I am below with fellow instructor, Vicky, with all those who showed up for BodyCombat!! 



Here I am with Ely and Angie before teaching BodyPump. 

I was at the gym all morning gir those events. Afterwards I got cleaned up and Derek and I went out on a belated-anniversary date! We attended the Flagstaff BrewHaHa, a beer-tasting event featuring craft brews from AZ, CO, and beyond. So fun- and tasty!!! 



After the tasting, which was held at the NAU convention center, we walked across the street for dinner at the “1899” restaurant. 1899 represents the year NAU was founded. The food was fantastic!!! I had the top sirloin steak with smashed potatoes and asparagus. The steak sauce garnish was so yummy! 

Derek had the carne asada macaroni and cheese. The Gouda cheese and slow-cooked meet just melted in your mouth. So good! 

After getting home, we rounded off a busy, yet awesome day by watching “The Greatest Beer Run Ever” movie. It was excellent! 



2 comments:

  1. We get around pretty well considering all the snow Flagstaff has had in the last week! Dixie

    ReplyDelete