Saturday, December 11, 2021

December 11: Festive, Crafty, Sweet and Bright!

It was 7 degrees at 8am this morning, so it was a great day to sleep in and stay cozy. While Zach was at tennis practice early afternoon, I made a sock snowman which was included in a winter craft kit that I picked up free from the library last week. (I love our library here in Flag!!!) So cute!!! 

Pirate Sock of course had to visit to meet Sock Snowman!!!

Then Ashton and I worked together to make the Stained Glass Cookies. They turned out so pretty! 
Ashton had a blast crushing the hard candy pieces with the rolling pin! We are glad that we decided to add the lemon zest to the recipe because the citrus flavor paired nicely with the  melted hard candy centers which were fruity in flavor. 











We put festive sprinkles on the small center star cutouts. 

Zach sampled them and said that they were ok but I think he was expecting a more traditional sugar cookie taste. Zach said, “These taste weird. Mom can you make your kind?” My “kind” is actually Grandma Peggy’s sugar cookie recipe with the secret almond extract which is definitely a family favorite!!!

Tonight Grandma Dixie, Derek, and I went downtown and had a fun evening watching the Holiday Parade of Lights and seeing Ashton and other Mount Elden Middle School students march with the Flagstaff High School Eagle Pride Marching Band! 



This is the famous Flagstaff pinecone ready for the New Years Eve Pinecone drop. 

Fun nerdy stuff in downtown Flagstaff. 

Ashton was in the first marching line with the flutes in the band so we spotted him immediately. He is in the red coat in the pic below. Yay!!!! He said that he had a great time and is excited to join marching band when he is in high school. All of the band kids were treated to hot chocolate, cookies, and candy canes upon return to the band room at the high school (which is just a couple blocks from where marching took place downtown). Yum! 

After returning home, we tucked in to warm bowls of slow cooker chili. Many thanks to Zach for periodically stirring the chili in while studying for finals next week. After dinner the boys opened door #11 to reveal dried cranberries. Orange and cranberry flavors for the next cookie. I’m excited! 

Oh, I also received these two cute little plants at my book club meeting and holiday gift exchange. 






No comments:

Post a Comment