Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Reinvention!

My friend, Terry Bone, and I are both flautists with the Flagstaff Community Band.  Actually, we joined the band on the exact same day last summer!  Terry is both a professional flautist and performer of other instruments as well as owner of his own flute and woodwind service and repair business. He is in his early 60s and has traveled/lived all around the world learning the craft of flute building and repair and is a master (in addition to music education, flute mastery and basically playing any instrument out there).  He is one of the nicest and down to earth people that I have ever met. (You can learn more about him here. http://www.boehnflutesandwinds.com/) He moved to Flagstaff last summer from Pennsylvania realizing a need in Arizona for his services.  He is currently the only flute and woodwind repair specialist in Arizona and for much of the southwest.  

Due to his unique skill set and position in Arizona, his business is growing rapidly.  He is looking for an assistant to help brainstorm new ideas and manage business growth.  Specifically he was looking for a fellow local flute player who would have a scientific interest in learning how to build and repair flutes as well as help with the marketing and execution of his repair business and workshops on a part-time basis along with being a fun individual with whom to collaborate.  I am totally flattered that I was his first choice!!! He approached me during his flute show here in Flag on Saturday about his idea of working together .  We met again yesterday afternoon to chat in more detail about the nature of our collaboration. 

This new opportunity comes at a great time.  We have lived in Flag close to a year and we are (mostly) settled in. Truthfully, I have been feeling a bit "lost" and directionless since experiencing my brother's death and family dynamic changes and leaving work and moving away from our established life in Oklahoma.  I walked away from so much that I have used to define myself over the years.  Dont' worry! I in no way regret our move to Arizona.  It has been wonderful immersing myself in the outdoors, all of the boys' activities, and band/music. (Not to mention Derek and I learning to live with each other again after I was away on so much travel for Phillips 66.  Ha Ha!) However, I was/am struggling to understand my new purpose and "who I want to be". I have spent most of my life striving to be the perfect model of what I think is expected of me by others. I have never often stopped to consider what I want to do or be or what would truly make me happy---and often we don't know what that is until it throws itself at us. What is wonderful is that early retirement gives one the freedom to do just that!!!!  The beginning of that journey was our family decision to retire and move to beautiful Flagstaff and have more time to focus on family which is most important.   When Derek and I had kids, I put my music on hold as there was only so much time in the day for so many activities. Family and my career in science took precedent.  Now, in retirement, with all of the music opportunities that Flagstaff has to offer, I realize how much I have missed music in my life!  More importantly, this new venture will give me an opportunity to explore science and music together in a way that I never even really before imagined. (And it is part time and I can define how deeply I get involved!)  

This is all very new.  Terry and I will be taking infant steps to build our collaboration and define what works best.  I will be accompanying him to a Flute Festival for a day in April to observe him interacting with customers and fellow flautists, and help him brainstorm marketing ideas. Over the next few months, Terry will train me in the art of building and repairing flutes.  I will slowly start to assist him with minor repair work, help with business marketing, and assist during his repair clinics and flute shows around the southwest area as my personal time permits. As I learn the basics, he is interested in using my materials science background to co-develop new/alternate materials for padding, lubrication, and other instrument features to help streamline process and/or build better flutes. Science and music together and I get to immerse myself in all things flute (I am now a National Flute Association Member)- I am so excited!!!

1 comment: