I spent the entire day at Flag High helping with volunteer coordination for the Northern Arizona Regional Honor Band, Orchestra, and Choir auditions. Zach and I arrived at the high school around 6:30am. Zach had a work shift from 7am to 9:30am as a student helper for the event prior to his own audition at 10:40am. Grandma Dixie was also there from 7am to 11am working the orchestra student audition check in table. I worked until 4pm coordinating volunteer proctor activities for the auditions as well ensured all judges and audition rooms had everything they needed throughout the day to run smoothly. The morning was crazy with delays and a tough start as the Band and Orchestra Chairpeople for the event (not from Flagstaff I might add) were very disorganized and dropped the ball with many of their responsibilities (like not arriving with audition schedules or music, etc. seriously who are these people? If you agree to do a job, do it right!!!!) . So I logged over 10,000 steps by 9:30am helping the other site coordinators to work out those “kinks”. By the afternoon, the process was a well-oiled machine! Overall, I logged over 26,000 by the time I walked to my car at 4:00pm!

I am super proud if this young man who participated in his first major audition this morning! (It was a blind audition. So yes it was ok that he wore shorts! Plus all FHS student helpers were asked to wear their FHS performing arts tshirts for the day.) Zach said that the etudes and site reading went ok, but the scales were tough. These things never go perfectly. They are always learning experiences!!! Whether he makes the honors orchestra or not this year, he gained valuable experience that will make him a stronger player. Plus he now knows what to expect for future auditions like these. (I snuck this picture of him while he was waiting to be called in to his audition room.)

So my feet hurt, but this makes it all better!!! Fiesta!!!!
So proud of Zach!
ReplyDelete