Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Books, Eyes, Etc.

We are having another busy week. I attended my first book club last weekend. The club is made up of about 13 different women from Flagstaff ranging in age roughly from 25-55 of various different backgrounds and occupations. I was invited to attend by my friend Kendall with whom I play flute in the Flag band. We spent an evening eating (each of us brought food or drink to share), discussing the book, and getting to know one another. The meeting was hosted by a young woman whom I later recognized as one of the Flagstaff Public Librarians who helped host the Harry Potter Escape that we attended last July.   The book we discussed was the following which was set in the 80s and focused on a family impacted by the HIV/AIDS scare and epidemic. Many of us in the group were kids at the time (similar ages to the protagonist in the story) and recalled the fear and unknowns about the disease. The book also dealt with love, death, and grief in a very real way. It hit close to home for me in many ways, but overall I enjoyed the book. Group Discussion really made me think about the book in new ways. It is nice to have a group with whom I can discuss books (and add new ones to my ever-growing reading list) as well as be making new friends here. I look forward to February’s meeting! 

I took Zach to the eye doctor today for a checkup as he was complaining that he was having difficulty reading the board at the front of the room at school. I was hoping to have contacts or glasses pics to share. However, according to the doctor he is not yet ready for glasses. In another year- likely! 

We are going to sign Ashton up for summer space camp at Lowell for a week in June. He will go to camp daily from 4-10pm and learn how to do observing and research (and present findings) like a real astronomer or astrophysicist! He will also have outdoor activities like hiking and games. Sounds like fun!!!! (Can parents go too???) 

Thanks to everyone who helped support Ashton’s school fundraiser. Instead of a grippy sloth, he received a wrist slapped pterodactyl! He is thrilled!!!

We turned in his essays and application for the APEX advanced placement program at Mount Elden Middle School for next year this week too! 

I bought myself a Music Theory learning program for my computer. So it has been “back-to-school” for me this week as I work on my music compositional skills. I have gotten back to some flute playing this week as well.

Derek bought a new cushy desk chair and has been babying his lettuce. It is getting bigger!!!



I have a meeting tonight at the high school to learn about my duties as parent coordinator for the upcoming regional honor band and orchestra auditions. So never a dull moment!!! Looking forward to coming home and watching the final episode to The Game of Thrones Saga! We finished season 4 of The Expanse last night. 

No comments:

Post a Comment