Saturday, August 6, 2016

Everyone enjoys a good scoping! (Not)

So this flyer came in the mail yesterday. I find it hilarious because I also underwent a checkup colonoscopy yesterday since I now have an established family history of rectal cancer with my brother. My procedure went fine. The doctor said everything looked healthy. They found and removed two polyps which they expect to be benign. Pathology will be reported next week. 

So the procedure prep was not so pleasant. I don't want to look at Gatorade nor a miralax bottle for a very, very, very long time! Living on a liquid diet is no fun. 

So before the procedure, they had me take a pregnancy test just to be sure. Apparently after the procedure, Derek said it was really funny as I made sure to tell him at least 5 times that I was NOT pregnant. Ha! I don't remember that at all! I don't remember hardly anything between the time I could see the sedative enter my veins at 11:15am and 3pm. I mainly only have impressions of occurrences. Like the fact that it was the nurse and not Derek who helped me get dressed post procedure. I also do not remember going to the drive-thru to get Arby's for lunch. Although I do have the feeling that it tasted wonderful - especially the salty potato cakes and Jamocha shake. I know that I talked to my friend Peggy when we picked up the boys from her house (they went swimming and had Freddy's for lunch). But I have no idea what we talked about. The boys did a great job watching over me yesterday afternoon as I was basically passed out in the rocking chair. 

Earlier in the week, I also underwent a Doppler ultrasound on my kidneys as well as urinalysis. To get the referral for the colonoscopy, I had a routine physical with bloodwork. The blood test results came back low for kidney function which could indicate kidney disease. So the ultrasound and urinalysis were ordered to check things out. All results came back healthy. Yay! The blood test results can be unreliable for very active individuals (which I am with my running, swimming, weights etc). So the plan is for me to get blood retested in 6-8 weeks and then go from there. Based on the results, I may have to see a specialist to ensure everything is ok. So everything is currently positive and I feel perfectly fine. So it is expected all is well! 

So I am super-glad to be done with all things medical this week! I was told no exercise for 24 hours after the colonoscopy. So I uncharacteristically slept in until 8:30am and am currently enjoying watching the Olympics. These athletes are amazing!!!! 

2 comments:

  1. So glad to hear all tests are A-OK.

    The doctors keep a keen eye on my kidney tests - thank god they are doing ok too!

    ReplyDelete