Friday, November 15, 2013

Turkey Trouble

Not to be outdone by my biohazard costume earlier in the week, I had yet again ANOTHER opportunity to play dress-up.  This afternoon at lunchtime, some fellow women scientists and I drove over from the Research Center to participate in the Phillips 66 Women's Network end of the year luncheon.  It was a nice opportunity to meet other women in the company working in Bartlesville, share a little pre-holiday cheer, and have some fun.  All those attending the event were asked to bring a stuffed bear to donate to the Washington County Sheriffs Department, who gives them to kids for comfort when needed during traumatic events where the police are involved.  A police-woman attending the event to accept the bears gave a very nice speech about different situations where the bears are used to help kids during times of need.  Bears and other stuffed animals are great for hugs. Below is pictured all of the hugs that were donated today for the little hearts and hands that need them.  (The bear I brought is center bottom - white fur with a gray sweater!  So adorable!!)

Ok, I know--you are asking, what about this costume?   Well, one of the games that we played after lunch was that each table had to act as a team to "decorate" one person from their table as a turkey.  Guess who volunteered to be the turkey??? 
Our table decided to wrap me up as a baked turkey, including fixings such as potatoes and carrots.  I even have a thermometer (red/white thing on my left hip) that does from "done" to "food poisoning.  Ha!  I am holding a sign under my waddle that reads "Thanksgiving Clearance $0.66/lb (in honor of Phillips 66 of course!).  Anyway, I made it to the top three.  All of the tables were very creative, others with baked turkeys like me as well as some live including all sorts of feathers.
The winner of the contest is shown below.  There is a woman under there completely covered in foil.  so realistic and totally deserving of the award!  Phillips 66 women are a bit nutty and TOTALLY creative! 
So, that was the fun part of my day in the midst of end of year performance discussions and other end of year madness.  I have also been fighting off a cold, so definitely ready for the weekend (and looking forward to time off over Thanksgiving).  All of the boys are ready for a break too I think.  Ashton has been having a better time at school.  He has been into all sorts of art projects, including the family turkey feather design shown below.  The lines are each of our hand outlines, including a paw outline for Snickers.  He also did a nice job representing the poem, "The Five Little Pumpkins".  



Zach has been having a rough couple of weeks.  He has been having some behavior issues (e.g. noisy outbursts and disturbances in class).  He was sent to the principal's office on Monday with a bunch of other kids because they were playing tag at recess.  We had no idea that tag is no longer allowed in elementary school.  I don't think I would be able to survive school these days.  He also has been forgetting to do and/or refusing to do some of his reading assignments at school.  But no one told Derek and I, so what a complete surprise when he brought home a "C" on his latest progress report as he has been reading every night as well as working on Study Island, an online study program recommended by his teacher.   We are having difficulty understanding what will motivate Zach to take responsibility for his work and actions in school.  Praise, threats, bribes...nothing seems to work with him.  It is only 3rd grade after all- so trying to not get worked up about it.  We drowned our frustrations and feelings of parental inadequacy over margaritas tonight.  Then we watched the movie "Kon Tiki" after getting the kids to bed.  Excellent 2012 movie!!!!

Tomorrow will be busy with soccer from 10 am until about 1pm, with the last games of the season.  Then hopefully we can spend the remainder of the weekend relaxing.  I plan to run with the gals on Sunday morning, a short ~6 miler as we taper into our half marathon next weekend.

Time for an aspirin and then I will pour myself into bed.

2 comments: