Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Take Your Kids and Vote. It Makes an Impression.

Well, we hope y'all who are of age went out and exercised your constitutional right to vote yesterday!  Derek and I picked up the kids after work and headed to the polls.  I told Ashton that we were going to VOTE.  He heard BOAT.  After a few minutes of disappointment and whining that boats and votes did not go together, he was happily entertaining everyone at our polling center- making batty eyes at the women handing out ballots and being his general cheerful, outgoing self.  As I was filling out my ballot, Ashton serenaded everyone with a rousing round of The Itsy Bitsy Spider as well as doing a Sound of Music dance impression in the middle of the floor (think the hills are alive with much spinning...).  It is amazing how long it takes to fill out a two-sided ballot while periodically pausing to monitor the activities of an active three year old. (Although seriously, I don't think anyone minded one bit...)

Meanwhile, Zach helped Derek with his ballot, announcing to the entire place, "Hey Dad, why are you marking them all 'No'?"  So much for anonymity!!!  Ha! 

At least I hope that we set a good example for our kids per the importance of voting (even if you are doing it in a state where who you vote for President doesn't really matter as everything goes Republican).  The only thing that really irked me was the fact that there was no "write-in" option.  Isn't that required by law???  Kudos to our Indiana friends and relatives who live in a "swing state" where your vote had the potential to matter yesterday- makes it a bit more fun that way - at least for the Presidential election...

Zach told us during dinner that we had to vote for President Obama because he is the best president.  We asked Zach why he thought Obama was the best.  He told us it was because Obama was the current president and he is "the boss", so we have to vote for him.  Ummm- ok... enter large discussion on why the President is not "the boss".  New rule---just don't go there unless you have had a glass or two of wine and don't mind conceding defeat to an elementary school child whose life hierarchy is in the following order:

Zach: Dad: Mom (I rank higher than Derek in Zach's mind because I've had more school- ha!): Grandparents: Teacher: Principal: President: Darth Vader: The Incredible Hulk

Regardless, the kids were most impressed that all voters received a sticker.  Stickers are awesome you know...regardless of whoever is the President or The Boss... 

3 comments:

  1. You could get around this by explaining to Zach that "The Boss" is Bruce Springsteen ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy, do I ever wish I had been there for both the voting experience and the discussion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'wonder what those other voter were thinking after the entertainment and such?

    ReplyDelete