Spelling words for the week: lump, huge, glue, true, luck, trust, bunch, rule, cute, due, cup, jug, rub, mud, dust, just, hunt, drum, club, you, us
The interesting thing is that the top of his spelling sheet reads "Word with short u". Ummm- I'm confused. Since when is the "u" in huge, glue, rule, etc short???? Oh well... I guess Derek and I would not pass second grade. (We failed first grade last year, so I guess we are on the right track to be outstanding elementary school parents!)

Zach finished his book all about Amelia Earhart. We enjoyed learning that she built a roller coaster in her backyard with her sister, and that when the coaster went over a bump it was the first time that she went airborne! In addition to being one of the first female pilots and the first woman to cross the Atlantic Ocean, we learned that she was a Professor at Purdue University, teaching aviation. Go Boilers!!! It was then that Zach realized that everyone that he was reading about in the book was a real person. So, he was quite upset by the book's ending where her plane went missing. He said that "there should have been more aircraft carriers on the ocean so that she could land". After finishing the book, he asked me if I knew anyone who knew about Amelia Earhart while she was alive. We thought of Grandma Evelyn and Aunt Lillian right away. So I called them today to see if they might write Zach a note about what they remembered about her as they were growing up. I learned from Evelyn today that Amelia Earhart was a friend of Ernie Pyle. Ernie Pyle was a supporter of aviation and wrote a column about it. (Grandma Evelyn one of the top historians where all things about Ernie Pyle is concerned!!!!!) Evelyn has also been to Purdue where she was able to see Amelia Earhart memorabilia in the archives. How exciting!!!! I know Zach will have a great time hearing personally from Evelyn and Lillian when we visit Rockville in November.
Well I am off to Ponca again for the day tomorrow. Going to start the day and the drive off by making a stop at Starbucks for either a Pumpkin Chai Latte or a Caramel Apple Cider- at this point I can't decide.... Maybe both!

I vote for both! So very happy and proud that Zach enjoys reading and learning about all kinds of people. Will be interested to hear what Grandma Evelyn has to say about AE. Okay, as everyone knows I'm a terrible speller, but even I know that the u in huge is long!
ReplyDeleteTell Zach that Great Grandpa Paul was in the Pacific on an aircraft carrier but it wasn't until 1944-1945. He is sorry he was too late to provide a landing place for Amelia.
ReplyDelete