Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Oh Say Can You See? Star Spangled Skeletons!

Happy Independence Day Everyone!!!!

 So far our "staycation" this year has been nice and relaxing.  Ashton made fireworks at daycare (shown above- so creative and cute!).  Ash has been going on "camping trips" with his class this week.  They put up a tent, played with flashlights with the lights off, ate smores, and talked about animals in the woods.  Zach has been having a blast at summer camp- especially on the days he goes to the pool.  He is very proud of his new swim goggles and likes to brag that he can "float in a circle" and "jump in and sit on the bottom of the pool".  Sounds fun! 

We started our day today with pancakes and bacon (I think they are the best pancakes I have ever made - just plain pancakes with a splash of vanilla - just the right size and thickness cooked to perfection on our new gas cooktop - should have taken a picture!!!)  Then we headed to the little park a few blocks from our house to exercise the kids and dog before getting too hot.  There was a nice picnic table in the shade where Derek, Snyx, and I could enjoy the breeze. Upon returning home we made sugar cookies (Grandma Peggy's recipe) - skeletons and bones in honor of our recent trip to the "Bone Museum" and stars and Libery bells in honor of the holiday.  


 Other adventures this week have included making bug jars (hoping to see, and catch some fireflys some day- I remember Indiana was always thick with them this time of year!!!) 
 Derek and I drove to Tulsa on Monday to catch a matinee of Prometheus (prequel to the Alien movies).  We had the entire theater to ourselves.  Movie was entertaining, but we each walked out of the theater saying "What????".  Then we tried out the new Freebirds World Burrito (yum) and ran a few errands before picking up the boys. 

Yesterday, Derek went to work.  I stayed home (yay for me)!!!!  In the morning I unpacked our remaining boxes and cleaned up our guest bedroom which is now ready for visitors (hint hint)!  We now have another big box of stuff ready to be dropped off at GoodWill.  After a lunch on our patio with Snyx, I took some time to read one of my Runner's World magazines (I am sooooo behind!!!) and then proceeded to whip up a lasagna and mix together cookie dough for chilling overnight.  The lasagna is Grandma Dixie's recipe, but "Miller-fied" -- made with spicy Italian sausage.  Total yumminess!  Of course Zach took one look at it as I was pulling it out of the oven and said, "Yuck!".  Oh well!  It was so perfect-looking that I had to take a picture. 
Tonight we will head downtown for the holiday block party and fireworks. Stay tuned for future updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment