Derek received an A+ from his endoscopist with squeaky clean and cancer-free innards. YAY!!!!! He has pictures to prove it, but I thought that would be a bit too intimate to share with y'all! The poor guy was scoped from both ends. However whatever drug they gave him knocked him out for the procedure, but he was awake and fully alert within minutes of being wheeled in to recovery. We were out of the office by 3:30pm, so picked up the boys by 4pm and went out for a celebratory dinner at Poblanos as Derek was starved! YUM!!! Then we came home and spent a nice time outside helping Zach with his homework and then playing in the nice weather. The boys are currently in the bath. With homework done, lunches made, and the house straightened up for impending realtor visits tomorrow, we can actually relax with a few cartoons together before sending the boys to bed.
I know you are just dying to know, so here are this week's spelling words:
above, bright, delight, die, eight, fight, flight, fright, laugh, lie, light, might, moon, night, pie, right, sight, tie, tight, touch
Challenge/science: cylinder, wrangler, wristwatch, adaptation
Zach is studying rocks and minerals in science class this week. They will learn that a geologist is a scientist who studies rocks and the Earth's structure. They will have hands on activities investigating the properties of rocks including color, size, luster, texture and hardness. They will be creating a flipbook on the uses of rocks and minerals. Students will show how aluminum, soil, clay, gold, silver, steel, and sand are used to make products that we use every day. Students will also investigate weathering and erosion and record their observations. They will also be comparing different kinds of dirt - potting soil, local soil and sand will be used to determine properties of dirt including particle size, texture, and color. They will be discussing what can and cannot break down into soil.
WAY COOL!!!! I WANT TO GO TO FIRST GRADE TOO!!!!!
I also have to show off the really cool T-shirt sent to me by Dixie and Cliff. Thanks so much! What a fun surprise to receive today!!! It would be nice, as this T-shirt suggests, if everyone could just suck it up and get along for a change!
More news! I was quoted in a national American Chemical Society Magazine, Chemical and Engineering News. Check it out!!!
http://cen.acs.org/articles/90/i13/Safety-First-Flame.html
I have attached a copy of the article text and picture below (From C&EN news issue March 26, 2012):
Questionable attire: This Lego science gal needs some safety help.
Boxes of Legos, featuring adventurous characters and vehicles, are easily recognizable on any toy store shelf. But instead of offering the usual space shuttles and trains, a new Lego product line features a science lab. The Lego Friends toys, with their series of female figurines, are sold in purple boxes, with a target audience of girls age five to 12.
Ph.D. chemist Thomasin Miller of Houston notified Newscripts of these toys, highlighting one of the female characters, Olivia, and her Invention Workshop. Miller says, “As a female Ph.D. chemist, I sincerely applaud Lego for making such neat toys.”
According to Lego’s website, Olivia’s workshop comes with a workbench, a microscope, a chalkboard, a pet robot, power tools, a crystal, chemist jars, and an oil can—some serious, and varied, lab equipment.
But Miller points out some details the company has overlooked. “Olivia has not been given the proper safety training for working in a laboratory with chemicals,” she notes. “She lacks safety goggles and is wearing a sleeveless shirt, shorts, and sandals,” Miller laments. “How about some safety glasses and a lab coat to encourage safe creativity?”
Additionally, Olivia’s hair is not pulled back, and there are flowers and hearts drawn on the chalkboard, which is filled with symbols that don’t equate to anything scientific.
Lego’s website mentions that the Lego Friends have “thousands of customizable hair and fashion combinations.” Perhaps safety gear and a ponytail should be the next accessories the company develops for Olivia.
It was Derek's idea that I write in to the American Chemical Society in the first place. Moral of the story: Behind every good woman there is a fantastic, supportive man with great ideas. I am so blessed to have married my best friend!!!
It was Derek's idea that I write in to the American Chemical Society in the first place. Moral of the story: Behind every good woman there is a fantastic, supportive man with great ideas. I am so blessed to have married my best friend!!!

I apologize in advance, I just can't help myself. Maybe Derek is so squeaky clean because of all the Mexican you guys eat ;) Hahahahaa! Sorry, Greg says I am often the only one that laughs at my jokes. Seriously good news, though. Also, my parents had that t-shirt on a bumper sticker. Can you believe someone ripped it off their car???
ReplyDelete