This morning I woke up early (5:30am) to head Downtown to participate as a runner on ConocoPhillips team in the Race for the Cure. What an experience!!!!! There were just TONS of people everywhere--- and PINK everywhere. The entire 3 mile race was a sea of people that carried you along. When I finished the race in about 30 minutes, there were still thousands of walkers getting ready to cross the starting line... This made all of the races that I participated in Tulsa seem tiny!!!!
It was fun reading all of the hopeful T-shirts.
Save second base.
Save the TaTas.
Save the rack.
Cop a feel so cancer can't steal.
Breat friends forever.
Bosom buddies.
There were even a bunch of men running around in pink bras and tutus. Ha!
The picture above shows the slogan on our ConocoPhillips Team T-shirts. Our tent was nicely stocked with goodies for the runners before and after the race as well as lip balm for all and medals for all children who ran and walked in the race.
So, tons of hope and goodwill---but MAN, people are VULTURES. Of course there were a lot more people in attendance besides people walking and running in the race. A lot of people were expecting handouts at all of the tents and some even got irritated when there was nothing "free". For example, before the race, our tent had a small table laden with granola bars and fruit for the runners/walkers (there were 70 volunteers and runners/walkers from COP in all ---only a handful of us actually stopped by or manned the tent). People actually came up and tried to grab the goodies without even asking. One woman almost made off with an entire bunch of bananas. It was crazy! Luckily the lead tent volunteer was a master at deflecting grabby and ungracious people with a smile. (She is a spunky young woman- early 20s!!!)
Anyway, it was fun! I even nabbed some free shwag myself (a headband, key chain, and towel...). I will post a picture of my fellow volunteers and runners next week once they are made available at work.

That sounds awesome! Such a great cause and it really IS fun because people get so into it. I love the scarf on your head!
ReplyDelete