Friday, June 3, 2011

School's Out for Summer!

We now have a first-grader in the house!  Today was the last day of school for Zach -and only a half day to boot.  He had a kindergarten graduation parade and party - complete with graduation hats and bears given out by the PTA.  We are so proud because he won the "most improved" student award for the turn-around in his behavior this year.  He received an award coupon for a free kids burrito at one of our favorite restaurants, Bullritos- YAY!!!  Then he had "splash day" at daycare to further celebrate. 

Derek and I were sorry that we missed his parade this morning due to meetings, but we all went out for a celebratory dinner at Poblano's, a yummy Mexican restaurant near our house.  We then came home to watch Zach's Barnyard Moosical on DVD (one of the class parents made a DVD of the show, copied it, and gave it to all the class families- how nice!  We will be sure to bring it to Indiana for viewing by Grandparents and other friends and family during our visit later this month!).

After getting the kids to bed, Snickers and I went on our nightly "raus" (Ruchti-family German-based word for "outside walk" for the uninitiated) around the neighborhood/school complex (about a mile and a half walk).  Uncle Hondo and Grandpa Randy will be proud of us as we pick up trash along the way to help keep the planet clean.  We usually pick up a whole plastic grocery bag full of trash every evening.  Some of the most interesting items that we have found during our first week of raus include a glasses case, a hair brush, and a butterfly hair clip.  Snickers decided to try and eat a Pringles potato chip that was covered in ants tonight.  I don't think she will try that ever again after all the spitting and sneezing that ensued. 



Snickers is getting used to our routines.  She definitely looks forward to her nightly walk.  Zach also figured out that she likes to chase the flashlight beam around the floor.  She is a great help waking the kids up in the morning - jumping up on their beds and acting as the Licking Alarm Clock.  She has many traits in common with both Jake and Hondo (makes sense with the cross between Terrier and Shepherd).  She wants to have us all in the same place (herding instinct) and likes to take your hand in her mouth as a greeting (like a wet handshake, not a bite) similar to what Hondo used to do.  She has nutty terrier qualities like Jake- chewing upside down while on her back and snorting in holes/cracks.  She totally blasted a another dog during our raus tonight- reminiscent of Jake minus all the spinning on the leash.  She does have her own quirks too.  For example, she is a very polite beggar.  To get your attention, she will lightly take her paw and tap your foot (if you are standing) or your knee (if you are sitting).  She does get the message though if you tell her to go lay down, and she will lie quietly under the table.  She does have issues with jumping up on people when excited that needs some obedience work.  We will be taking her to her vet checkup tomorrow morning to get her all checked out and stocked up on heartworm and anti-flea/tick meds. 

Even thought we now have Snickers (which makes me happy) I still am missing Jake terribly.  I always expect him to be right around the corner, or right behind my desk chair.  Our computer passwords are all based on my nicknames for him- so little reminders are all around.  Sometimes while hugging Snickers I will try to talk/groan/growl to her forgetting that she is not Jake and will not groan/growl back like Jake did.  I also miss how he used to come over for cuddling during yoga meditation.  Such small things really that make me miss him most. 

Ok, I'm off to bed.  Work stress (and there is a lot of it) and a minor cold have gotten me down (among other things).  I am trying to keep my head above water, but some days it is so hard...   

3 comments:

  1. mmm...protein chips. Gotta love 'em. Sounds like y'all had a really nice day. Hurray and big hugs for Zach for his achievement. That's really spectacular. I'm looking forward to meeting Snickers, she sounds like she's meshing with the family nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll bet Zach is happy too that he finished his school year in such a positive way. Snickers sounds like she has adjusted well to her new family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Tommi,
    How are you? Snicker's is so cute? How old is she and what kind of dog is she? We are looking very forward to your visit. Can you please send me your new #'s and new address? I can't find your #. I have been thinking about you and I have wanted to call you :) Hope all is well and talk to you soon.
    Congrats to Zach on his award and graduating Kindergarten.
    Angie

    ReplyDelete