Friday, April 29, 2011

Take Me Out to the Ball Game...

Derek and I enjoyed our outing to the Houston Astros baseball game.  It was fairly impressive going up to the suite levels of the stadium with welcome guides and everything.  When we walked into ConocoPhillips' sky box, Jim Mulva (ConocoPhillips' CEO and his wife right there getting their food (a spread of yummy Tex-Mex!) and greeted us.  After brief introductions with the Mulvas, we then talked with our host, Merl Lindstom the Senior Vice President of Technology, as well as Dave Barrington, the head of Subsurface Technology before sampling the Mexican for ourselves along with margaritas.  After eating and watching the game for a bit (the Astros lost to the Brewers 5-0), I then notices that our CEO was standing up eating popcorn.  So, I thought this was the perfect opportunity to talk to him a bit more and ask where to find the popcorn (as this is my favorite food in the universe).  Actually, I was able to open the conversation with the fact that we were neighbors in Bartlesville with Jack and Betty Perryman- Jim Mulva and Jack worked together in London.  Turns out the Mulva family lived just one cul-de-sac up from us during their time in Bartlesville and knew right where our house was.  He then asked me the usual questions about my different jobs in the company (giving me the advice that once I get used to my new job in Houston, they will be sure to transfer me to a new one- ha).  By then, the dessert/ice cream sundae cart arrived, foiling my designs on popcorn.  So Derek and I ate cheesecake and chocolate ice cream respectively (delicious).  After finishing dessert, Mr. Mulva and his son (his son and daughter-in-law were also attending the game) came to sit with Derek and I for the last 3 innings.  It turns out we have a lot in common in addition to our choice of home location in Bartlesville.  His  younger son went to Notre Dame for undergrad and his older son to U. Texas Austin.  Mr. Mulva and his wife are originally from Wisconsin (Green Bay area in fact) and they are planning on moving back there upon retirement.  He was very  impressed that I knew about DePere, WI and was impressed that Grandpa Sachse had worked for the Ft. Howard Paper Company.  In all, a very nice evening and I think I still have a job to go back to Monday morning.

ConocoPhillips sign in lower right (a bit outshined by the Citgo sign at the top, center)

 Awesome screen (and amusing "Eat More Fowl" Chick-Fil-A advertisement)
 FOOD!


However, I am now wiped out after a long day (was at work by 6:15am this morning to prepare for an 8am presentation - it is now almost 11:30pm).  Time to crawl into bed...

1 comment:

  1. The many, many things you had in common with various members of the Mulva family makes for interesting connections. You won't be forgotten! Congratulations on retaining your job!

    ReplyDelete