
This guy crawled in the house for a visit just as I let Jake out for his evening constitutional. Scared the crap out of me as he was a robust specimen, moving fast on 8 legs - black, hairy, and two inches in diameter. As dutiful (and nerdy- or stupid- depending on your perspective) scientists, we promptly captured him (using safety precautions- Tommi stood by with a thick rolled-up magazine). We identified him as a wolf spider (nonpoisonous, nocturnal, nightime hunter, looking for warm doorways in which to hang out in the fall...). We considered saving him for Uncle Greg as a Christmas present, but ultimately decided to release him back into the backyard to feast on less desirable creatures. Trick-or-Treat!
Not cool. Not cool at all. I'm shivering now....shuddering...
ReplyDeleteI recall camping on the Appalachian Trail at one point on a very humid night, and you could actually see many wolf spiders hanging out on the ground. Scared the Be-Geez-zuz outta me... I'm finding it difficult not to just sit here and stare at the picture. What kind of phobe am I?
ReplyDeleteFreaky man, freaky. Sort of like the one Greg found behind the toilet...
ReplyDelete